I meant to post at least once a month. Clearly that didn’t happen. I’ve been pretty busy on the knitting front; sewing – not so much!
Let’s start with the cutest thing I finished: Gnatalie, a gnome designed by the brilliant Sarah Schira who publishes as Imagined Landscapes. It was a mystery knit along but I ‘cheated’ and looked at FOs. I thoroughly enjoyed knitting it and will knit more of Sarah’s gnomes over time. This one has already found a new home with a friend who’s a Master Gardener.
I finished my first pair of socks for 2019. Used one of my favorite yarns, 716Knit’s 716Sock. The yarn makes my knitting look so good! All those little stockinette stitches line up perfectly. Must buy more at ZK, even though I don’t need any more sock yarn. Maybe I need to destash some more of my sock yarn to make room for it? As usual, I used the SoxTherapist’s Fish Lips Kiss heel.
I finished my latest Boxy and LOVE the sweater so much. The yarn is discontinued and I love a couple colorways on destash but I’m trying hard not to buy another SQ.
I’ve wanted to knit the Rain on Notre Dame Cowl, another pattern by Sarah Schira, since it was released. As part of the ZK retreat build-up, another retreat attendee, Patty and I decided to knit it. I pulled a gorgeous skein of Sundara Aran yarn from stash and got to work. I’m sure I’ll knit it again.
I’ve added another sweater to the mix – BlueBee Studio’s Clio. While it’s a boxy shape, it’s a much more challenging knit than I’m used to. Lots of texture and cables. Hope I don’t have to tink back too much. I’m participating in an open test knit to test out changes that Elizabeth Doherty made to make it easier to knit. I’m using one of my SQs of Wollmeise DK. The colorway is Türkise Markise and it’s impossible to photograph the colorway accurately. It’s a rich neon bright medium turquoise. People are definitely going to notice me when I wear this sweater.
I’ve been making slower progress on Autumn Square but it’s moving faster since I finished Boxy. I hoped to finish it in April but was distracted by other patterns, especially the my mitered square blanket. I’m bordering each square with Hedgehog Fibre Sock in the gorgeous Graphite colorway. I’ve decided to plan out a row before knitting it because I’ve been wasting so much time trying to pick the yarn for the next square. Let’s see how that goes. Right now it’s pretty portable and lightweight so I occasionally work on it in public. I’m sure I’ll stall out when it warms up.
I’ve also knit a few dish clothes. I’ve discovered that it the perfect project to take to a concert. I’m underimpressed with the cotton yarn I’m using so I’ll have to try out different brands.
I’ve been a bit hit or miss with my spinning. In late January, I started a new project, choosing a Merino/Nylon blend pencil roving from Smith and Ewe. I was hoping to get a fingering weight yarn but it ended up a bit heavier than that. I’m not disappointed with the final results even though it’s a bit thicker than I’d hoped … it’s gorgeous. Must figure out what pattern to match with it.
Now for the little bit of sewing. I’ve cut out a Thea Rachelle Raglan top. I need to sit my butt down at the sewing machine and start putting it together. It’s my first time working with double gauze. I bought the fabric on sale at one of my local quilt shops, Calico Station a couple years ago.